Sam began his career in New York City, working on single family homes both within and outside of the city. In graduate school, Sam did his thesis on senior housing, studying how architecture can ease the aging process. Subsequent work in San Francisco and volunteering with the Institute on Aging there led him to apply to the Enterprise Rose Architectural Fellowship. This three year program places young architects within non-profit affordable housing providers to add capacity and encourage more thoughtful design processes within the organization.
Sitting on the Owner’s side of projects taught Sam some of the complexities an Owner faces in financing and stewardship of a building. During the fellowship Sam had the opportunity to work with both Michael Wisniewski and Bob Duncan on Cathedral Square projects. The Wright House (with Michael), received NGBS Gold certification, featuring 36 new accessible senior apartments. The rehabilitation of Richmond Terrace (with Bob), received Efficiency Vermont’s Rehab Construction Honor Award. Upon completion of the fellowship, Sam joined the firm in 2015. Most recently he managed the collaborative design charrette on Woodside Juvenile Rehabilitation Center with Michael, and construction of COTS 95 North Avenue with Bob.
Sam is licensed in Vermont and serves on the communications committee of AIA VT. He lives in Burlington, VT with his wife Christine and twin sons Charles and Fielder.
EDUCATION & LICENSE
- Vermont Registration #003.0089415
- Certified Aging in Place Specialist [CAPS]
- University of Virginia, Master of Architecture, 2009
University of Virginia, Bachelor of Science in Architecture, 2004
- Project Architect, Duncan Wisniewski Architecture, Burlington VT 2015-Present
- Rose Architectural Fellow and Project Manager, Cathedral Square Corporation, South Burlington, VT, 2012-2014
- Project Manager, Andrew Mann Architecture, San Francisco, CA, 2010-2011
- Project Manager, Butler Armsden Architects, San Francisco, CA, 2009-2010
Designer, Ryall Porter Architects, New York, NY, 2004-2007
COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT, ACADEMIA, & AWARDS
- Member - Burlington Community Development Block Grant Advisory Board - 2018-2019
- Nix Traveling Fellow 2008 - Investigating Corbusier’s Projects along the Mediterranean
- Community Service Fellow 2009 - Developing a vision for senior housing in rural Virginia
Member - AIA Communications Committee
Master Gardener - UVM Extension